Last week several bloggers and myself spoke with Fern Ingber (founding president and CEO of America’s ToothFairy) and Dr. Kaneta Lott (pediatric dentist) and learned several things that I think we forget in the daily shuffle. Oral disease has become the #1 chronic childhood disease. Dental disease can lead to serious illnesses and affects a child’s overall well-being. A child in pain can’t eat the nutritious foods that are so important for their growth and development. Like many of the other moms, I was pretty shocked to find out most of this information. I never realized how big of an issue dental disease is. It truly broke my heart. It broke my heart even more knowing that just that morning, we were in a rush and “skipped” our flossing. Here’s some other important facts:
- 44% of American kids will suffer from a pediatric dental disease before they reach kindergarten
- Of the 4 million kids born each year, more than half with have cavities by the time they reach 2nd grade.
- 43% of Americans lack dental insurance (think about this when you VOTE!)
- All in all, 16 million kids suffer from untreated dental disease
- Is the Smart Rinse sting-free (alcohol free) in case of a cut in the mouth? Yes it is! It won’t sting or burn!
- Is the Smart Rinse gluten-free? There is no gluten in Listerine Smart Rinse, but they cannot YET guarantee tat there is no cross-contamination during manufacturing.
- Is chewing gum okay? Gum, if it’s sugar-free, is okay. However, if it is NOT sugar free, you are exposing your children’s teeth to more sugar. In fact sugar free gum can help after a meal! It can help neutralize sugars from food you’ve just eaten.
One way to get involved this season is to join Trick or Treat for America’s ToothFairy. Don’t forget to join the America’s ToothFairy Kids Club! All you have to do is visit America’s ToothFairy and click on America’s ToothFairy Kids Club to sign up for a FREE membership, letter and fun activities from the ToothFairy today!
Keep watching back as my children and I engage and take the Sweet Smart challenge with Listerine, fellow mom bloggers and Americas ToothFairy! You can also visit Listerine Kids and get some valuable coupons to get your family started!
FTC Disclosure: I received products from Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. and The Motherhood as part of my participation in the LISTERINE SMART RINSE Sweet Smart Challenge. All views and opinions with regard to the products or company itself are my own and were not influenced, nor reviewed, by the company prior to posting.