I admit, I did make some patriotic goodies for the Memorial Day holiday. We really enjoy working with red, white and blue and this was a simple project that I could do with the kids. It’s always nice to keep them busy on the days they are off of school. They tend to not fight as much and of course, that alone makes a happy mommy!
This was a simple treat! We made Rice Krispy Treats. I always change the recipe up a little, and this time we made them star shaped. I also coated them with a THIN layer of vanilla flavored candy melts; which in turn allowed me to decorate them with different patriot sprinkles and colors.
They were pretty yummy and we enjoyed them. The star cookie cutter that I had was pretty big so I ended up making a pan of smaller ones for the littler ones. I did put sprinkles on them, but didn’t put the candy melts on them. The candy melt does make them a little sweeter.
Here’s my modified recipe for these marshmallowy treats that would be perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July, or any other holiday (just match your toppings to you occasion).
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 15 oz (1½ bags) Regular Marshmallows
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- Non-Stick Spray
- 13×9 Baking Dish
- Wax Paper
- Star Cookie Cutter (optional)
- Decorations (optional)
- - Vanilla Candy Melts (optional)
- In large 6qt pan (I use a larger pan because I mix everything in the pan, making less dishes) melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add your rice krispies and stir until everything is coated well. This recipe does use more marshmallows, so it will be more of a sticky mix then typical.
- Grease a 13×9 baking pan with butter or a butter spray. Add your mixture to the pan. Cover with wax paper.
- Press evenly through the pan, using the wax paper as your guide, to flatten your treats. Cool in the refrigerator until they are cooled through out.
- Remove the wax paper. Spray your cookie cutter with non-stick spray and and cut them into the pan. If you’d like to make them square, then just cut them into squares.
- If you chose, you can frost them with a thin layer of candy melts (melted in the microwave for 30 sec at 50% heat). Top with your choice of decorations.
A simple, yet classic favorite treat! We love them with the extra marshmallow and the candy melt coating. It gives them a little extra. Also note that when you top them with candy melts, it will harden and you can stack them on serving trays much easier without having them stick together!